Nadia Verrua | Nocciola Bandita
Nadia Verrua’s family look after ten hectares of land in the hills of Monferrato in the province of Asti.
Farming as the family has for over 100 years, organically on soft sandy hills, their land split between vines bearing local grape varieties and hazelnut trees. These hazelnuts are grown on the hills in Piemonte, then shelled, hulled and lightly roasted. An incredible example of a Piedmonte hazelnut, bursting with flavour, sweetness and a satisfying crunch.
Best enjoyed as they are, or as Teresa, Nadia's mother served us Torta Di Nocciola :
- 250g Hazelnuts, 40g of these chopped coarsely, the rest blended to a sand like consistency
- 170g sugar
- 4 Eggs, seperate
- Pinch of salt
- 24cm tart form.
• Preheat oven to 200C°.
• Mix together sugar, salt and egg yolk until you get a fluffy texture and sugar has dissolved, add in ground hazelnuts.
• Beat the egg whites until they get stiff, then gently fold them in the yolk/nut mixture.
• Spread the preparation into a 24cm tart form, bake for 15 minutes at 200C° before reducing to 180C° for another 15 mins.
• When a toothpick comes out clean, remove the tart from the oven.
• Remove the art from the form, leave to cool, then sprinkle with powder sugar and eat in a single sitting. Or share with friends and family.